Mornings

Thursday, June 4, 2009
















I've been feeling the need of a new project (like I don't have enough!). My creative energy needs some refreshing, and so I'm embarking on a year of mornings - a photojournal.

I've always been a morning person - at my best in the morning. A new start, a feeling of being rejuvenated, new eyes. Morning light is always soft and quiet, asking you to come and be a part. As a child, I remember waking up around 5:30 or 6:00 AM and the whole house would be asleep... but the birds were awake, the sun was awake, the paperboy was delivering - there was a quiet world going on its way already. My grandma would be up, too. We would make oatmeal together and she would let me have sips of her coffee. When she moved back to Pennsylvania, I enjoyed the mornings alone while everyone slept. I always wondered how they could sleep away the best part of the day! When I spent summers at my grandfather's farm in Eastern Pennsylvania, I loved wandering down the road at the start of a new day and watching the mist rise from the fields - like magical spirits and nymphs of the morn. And there were always so many chores to do before the heat of the day. Vegetables needed to be picked, dogs had to be fed, bugs had to be knocked off the plants (he was an organic farmer - we were his "pesticides"!), and on special days, we would wander through the woods to pick mushrooms or berries, be given little "lessons on birds, plants and nature, or head down to the "pumping station" - a lake full of adventures waiting to be had.

So this will be my tribute to mornings and memories and possibilities.....

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Char said...

what beautiful memories of your mornings. I am loving this series.

Stacy said...

That sounds like an amazing project! I am (sadly) one of those non-morning people who can sleep away half the day. I'm not always happy about it. Now you can show me what I am missing. =)